Monday, January 9, 2012

It's all Greek to me....

#8 - Learn a complex language:

Ever since I could remember, I've always been fascinated with languages. The words, the meanings, the conjugations, the reasoning behind the phrasing order....all of it fascinates me to no end. So many different languages to learn, so little time. But that's not to say I haven't learned at least one or two in the meantime. ;-)

From 8th to 12th Grade, it was Spanish. (It felt good meeting friends who could only speak Spanish and helping them make fun of the people who would make fun of their lack of English.) In college, I learned French, which is such a beautiful language to learn! If you have the time and patience to learn the several similar pronunciations, then I suggest you try it.   

In the next ten years, I hope to brush up on the languages I've already learned, as well as learn Italian, German & one mystery language. For a while, I've thought about Mandarin Chinese. Why? Mainly because it's so difficult and to learn it would be a huge goal accomplishment. But as of late, I've started changing my mind. 

With Matt having family members who still live in Greece, it might be an even better challenge to learn how to speak Greek to converse with them. I know his Aunt Elizabeth is such a sweetheart and it would make me feel even better if there was a way to bridge the language gap in some way.

I think for 2012, this goal needs to start. I'm tired of just checking off each goal one at a time. It's time to start finding my way back to my love for knowledge and more important, for language.

~Jenn


No comments:

Post a Comment