Saturday, September 24, 2011

Like a Rolling Stone....Writer

#2 - Write for Rolling Stone Magazine

I can still remember the first time I read an issue of Rolling Stone Magazine that my brother had bought. It had Howard Stern on the front cover and the way that the magazine was over-sized compared to Seventeen or Spin fascinated me. Stealing away to my room with the issue nestled against my chest, I spent that afternoon reading the issue cover to cover, almost trying to memorize every story. While I may have been only ten and most of the articles covered in RS went a little over my head at the time, I knew I was in love. It would take me another six or seven years to realize that this was my real calling in life....writing.

In my sophomore year of college, I discovered my love for music journalism. I had needed to write an article for my journalism class, just to appease the professor (who I was sure hated me) at the time. While talking to my friend Colleen, she had suggested I interview her bf's band, Ash Return. They were working hard on putting together shows and were going to hit the US on a mini-tour. Accepting her idea, I got hard to work on interviewing as many band members as possible and wrote what I still consider one of the biggest life-changing pieces of my college experience. Pouring through interviews on my little tape recorder and online chat sessions, I feel like I had found my true calling in music. (Even years later, when I ran into Colleen's now ex-boyfriend, he beamed with pride to co-workers when he told them about my article. Needless to say, I was very humbled by his appreciation.)

So this one should come as no surprise, since I love music and more importantly, I love  writing about music! Since my 'boy-band' days, a few years after my fated introduction to the magazine, I would have to buy every issue of Rolling Stone and read it cover to cover. When I didn't purchase it, my father would surprise me with the newest issue. Somehow, I think he always knew that this was what I was meant to do. 

I was always so fascinated with the smart writing and various music reviews. My favorites pieces were the interviews, because after reading them, I would always feel more connected to the artist. The mannerisms during their interview, the stories they would share, even the way the writer would describe their emotions and thoughts, all of it just drew me in even more. There was a larger sense of humanity and understanding....the subject would become more real to to me. And that allure of reality really lured me in further.

Of course, let's not also forget the legendary back page, filled with the top albums, singles, and flashback columns to older issues. Some of my favorite albums came from just flipping to that page and giving them a try. And when I need to discover new music, a new RS is sitting on my coffee table not even an hour later.

Every now and again I go on a hiatus from reading the publication, but I always return. Maybe it's because I'm a sucker for great writers, maybe for some of the photography that's captured. I don't know. But what I realized in high school (and even more in college) is that one day, I want to read my name in a RS by-line. It's by far my biggest dream....and one of the most important career-based ones that I desire to accomplish. 


~Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment